NOTE: NO SHEDRA COURSES ARE CURRENTLY PLANNED FOR THE LION YEAR PROGRAM
The shedra at Gampo Abbey provides an overview of the three yanas, covering the main topics of study in a traditional Tibetan shedra curriculum in the Kagyü tradition.
The core curriculum, called Advanced Shedra, consists of the following courses:
- Abhidharmakośa (four weeks)
- Lorik (four weeks)
- Grounds and Paths (four weeks)
- Yogācāra (four weeks)
- Madhyamaka (four weeks)
- Mahāmudrā (two weeks)
- Creation and Completion (introduction to Vajrayana) (two weeks)
We also offer courses open to all Abbey residents. These classes, called Introductory Shedra, vary, but have included:
- History of Buddhism
- The Uttaratantra Śastra
- The Jewel Ornament of Liberation
- The Essential Principles of the Shambhala Teachings
The Advanced Shedra and at least three of the Introductory Shedra courses together make up a shedra cycle of 2½ years.